After Amit Shah, now Dr Indranil Basu Ray who is an Indian-American cardiologist has written a letter to Mamta Banerjee.
I am compelled to point out the fact that as West Bengal is exceptionally crowded, the virus, if it infects a particular locality, will spread like wildfire, affecting thousands and killing quite a few.We cannot take anything for granted as you will regret if thousands are infected, and hundreds start dying because of a lack of strictness in preventing the spread and appropriate detection of COVID-19.Indranil Basu Ray
By now, West Bengal has more than 2060+ cases. Indranil also added:
Hushing up such infection and not taking appropriate precautions like isolation would lead to death and destruction, which I certainly know that you would not like as the Chief Minister of my state,Indranil Basu Ray
If we check the state-wise list of confirmed patients in India after Maharashtra Gujarat is the second state to have the highest number of covid-19 patients while West Bengal is at 8th position with 2000+ cases so why so many letters are been written to Mamta?
Are all the people biased and trying to just target Mamata?
It’s because of the number of cases might be more but the state is hiding the actual numbers?
I am getting a lot of messages and request to write something on the way West-Bengal is dealing with Coronavirus. People from Bengal are asking my opinion and thoughts on the same. It’s sad that the citizens of West-Bengal are upset and worried by the way the state government is handling the situation.
On this blog, I am just sharing my analysis, it will be too early for me to put forward any opinion for such a sensitive cause.
Let’s start the journey of analysis with me and find out together.
These are my questions which came to my mind. Help me to find answers.
- Are political leaders with decades-old rivalries still playing politics during this pandemic?
- What the fight is all about? Is it ego or insecurity?
- If Mamta is playing politics at this situation, will it hit back?
- While students are tweeting Mamta to bring them back from Kota, why she has not taken any steps yet?
- Only the two states, Bihar and WB don’t want their students and migrants back, why?
- Will politics affect the common man?
- Are sweets so vital for Bengalis, that they won’t be able to survive for a few days that the government is bound to open meat markets and sweet shops?
- Is Centre really trying to intervene and blame Mamta?
- The central government decided the hotspots without survey and statistics, how?
- Why didn’t centre sent teams to MP or Gujarat first, as they sent to Kolkata?
- As Mamata and supporters are continuously saying that they lack PPE kits and testing kits because of the biased government, is that true?
- Why it is taking 5 days for test results to come out in Bengal when it is 2 days for other states.
Let’s try to find out the answers in this blog.
What happened till date in West Bengal?
- On 4th march, Mamata alleged that people are creating chaos over CoronaVirus to suppress the riots in Delhi. She said;
“Today some people are shouting corona, corona [coronavirus] a bit too much. Yes, it’s a dreaded disease but doesn’t create panic. Some (TV) channels are creating hype over it to suppress Delhi violence.
- On 17th March, a young boy was detected positive for COVID-19 in West Bengal who returned from London. This was the first case reported.
- On the 18th of March, she asked people not to be irresponsible if they are having CoronaVirus symptoms also she ordered the state police to take stern action those who are spreading fake news.
- On the earlier days of lockdown, even the media and the opposition parties applauded the way she addressed the media and people of West-Bengal. Mamta did announce that the state government will create a fund of 200 crores to deal with coronavirus.
- By 25th March, the entire Kolkata Medical college was turned into medical facility to treat COVID-19 patients.
Now how the game changed? Let’s understand.
Politics- A dangerous game to play during this pandemic.
Coronavirus did change the course of Indian politics. Along with that, also exposed not only the mentality of politicians and media people but also the common men.
We are not just bearing brunt of economic crisis but the world is burning with communists and brutal and ruthless Indians.
Whenever I see the photo of the poor Hindu monk’s face who got killed by the mob at Palghar I do shiver that how people killed a person to death. The wound was not even healed and today I read another news of the death of 2 more Hindu monks.
Mamata Banerjee in the early days of April said that Coronavirus is not a communal disease and politics must not be indulged into it.
Later on, she mentioned that the areas must not be divided as hotspots. Where the whole country was fighting with coronavirus, recognizing hotspots and seal them she, on the other hand, gave it a term “sensitive areas”.
Is this because of her Muslim vote bank?
If we see the past and learn from it, Narendra Modi has always been known for turning unfavourable circumstances in his favour. As he is taking strong steps and trying to save his citizens from the virus even the entire world is praising him. This is the golden opportunity for BJP to enter into the West Bengal. If we see the history, BJP never ruled West-Bengal. We saw in 2014 when BJP got only 2 seats and in 2019 BJP managed to get 18 seats out of 42 which was remarkable. TMC has to be worried about this surge and any mismanagement can lead them to lose the next election.
The Bengal Chief Minister was clear of locking horns with the Prime Minister since the beginning of the fight against Coronavirus. She refused the plea of lighting lamps. Although she left the decision of lighting lamps to the citizens of the respective state. Most of the people switched off the lights for 9 minutes but didn’t lit lamps or candles as far as I know. When I spoke with few, I was surprised to know that they did not light the candles because of fear of retaliation.
What we are seeing, the only state government which turned out to be doing bizarre acts to control COVID-19. Where everyone is requesting including the prime minister to get united Mamata is holding daily press conferences to claim and state how the state is discriminated. Is that so?
TMC claims that the government is biased towards West-Bengal.
Let’s see if the government is biased. What steps the government has taken by far for the states:
- Government of India has allowed states for additional borrowing and the limit is set at GSDP of States as per fiscal responsibility and FRBM act.
- The government of India has ensured that they will give free treatment to COVID-19. Every state has set-up quarantined centres but Mamata is asking the people to stay put and quarantine themselves in their own homes because it’s difficult to arrange facilities for everyone. But what if the situation gets out of control and we need immediate medical assistance.
- The government is providing PPE kits of International standards to every state. Where Mamata raised her questions on the colour of PPE kits and on the other side, media reported misuse of PPE kits.
The blog has already become too long to read. Let me cover the rest of the topics on my upcoming blogs related to Mamata dealing with Coronavirus.
It is high time that the politicians forget about politics and fight against the deadly virus which is mutating very fast. Scientist have already reported that the virus has mutated 10 times by now.
Otherwise, if anyone has watched Game of Thrones it will be difficult to win over the virus. As from the first season of GOT, we know “Winter is coming” but the rulers we’re so busy winning over lands and ruling that even though the finally defeated the nightwalkers, it left disastrous results.
The blog is available in